Temporary Skills Shortage Visa (Subclass 408)

Coulter Roache

With approximately 87 different visas available in Australia, it can be difficult to know which visa is right for your circumstances.

Our expert migration lawyers understand the complexities of Australian Visas & Visa fees. We can explain to you and your sponsor, the conditions attached to the visa to ensure your compliance.

If you are coming to Australia for work that is temporary and specific it is likely you will need a Temporary Activity Visa (Subclass 408).

What is a Temporary Activity (Subclass 408) Visa?

The Temporary Activity Visa lets you come to Australia to participate in events which are endorsed by the Australian Government.

You may be eligible to apply for this visa if you

  • work in an area of critical need; or
  • are in Australia on a Working Holiday visa (subclass 417) or a Work and Holiday Visa (subclass 462) and are unable to complete your specified work arrangements affecting your eligibility for your second or third visa; or
  • work in a skilled position under a staff exchange arrangement or
  • participate in a government endorsed event; or
  • participate in activities at the invitation of an Australian organisation; or
  • are the holder of a Temporary Skill Shortage 482 visa or Temporary Skill Shortage 457 visa and have lost your job.

To be eligible to apply for the Temporary Activity (subclass 408 Australian Government Endorsed Event (AGEE) stream) visa, you must:

  • have the skills to undertake the activity to be carried out in Australia; and
  • be supported or sponsored.

What are the roles and obligations of a sponsor?

An established and operating business can apply to be your sponsor. You can only work for your sponsor while your visa is sponsored.

A Temporary Activity sponsor is a business who the Government has assessed is suitable to:

  • sponsor an applicant for a Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408), or
  • sponsor an applicant for a Temporary Work (International Relations) visa (subclass 403) Seasonal Worker Program stream or Pacific Labour Scheme stream visa, or
  • nominate and sponsor an applicant for a Training visa (subclass 407)

A business can sponsor a skilled worker who is:

  •  living overseas who wishes to travel and work in Australia, or
  • already in Australia on another type of visa which does not currently allow them to work, or
  • already living and working on another visa in Australia

A business sponsor can take over an existing sponsorship if you hold a Temporary Work Skilled Visa (subclass 457) or Temporary Skill Shortage visa (subclass 482).

If you plan to support yourself financially while in Australia please submit your application to Services Australia for assessment.

Temporary Activity (Subclass 408) visa overview

On a Temporary Activity visa you can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want while your visa is valid and include members of the family unit in your application.

For the duration of the event
Or up to 4 years

From AUD $310

Processing times
Current processing times unavailable due to low volume of applications.

Temporary Activity visa (subclass 408) – Australian Government endorsed events (COVID-19 Pandemic event)

If you have no other visa options and are unable to depart Australia due to travel restrictions or remain in Australia to assist in critical sectors during the pandemic (including healthcare and agriculture) you may be eligible for the Temporary Activity visa.

There are no processing fees for this type of visa. Please contact us to discuss your eligibility for this visa.

No longer than 12 months

No processing fees for this visa

Processing times
Current processing times unavailable.

How can Coulter Roache migration help you?

Contact Coulter Roache Migration Lawyer, Traci Chen, for a no cost 15 minute consultation to discuss your suitability for this visa. To arrange a consultation, click on the Contact Form button below.

Book now

Complete the contact form to book a 15 minute no cost initial consultation.

Contact Form or call us on 03 5273 5273

Liability Limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation